Sunday, November 13, 2011

Nov. 13th

3 whole days since I've blogged?! I thought it was way longer than that. :P

Yesterday we went away shopping for the day. How self-indulgent. :) Well not really. I really did need some clothes, and (I thought) the baby needed sleepers. This morning while I was looking for something else in the attic, I found a whole tub of size 9-12m clothes I didn't know I had. :P D'oh. I still can't find his winter jacket, which I really need now. I'm always misplacing things on myself. Could be because we have TOO MUCH STUFF in this huge house!!

We had fun away, anyway. Brendan was good all day. We went shopping, we went to the pet store--that was fun. He got to pet a bunny & a chinchilla, he LOVED the chinchilla. And he was fascinated with the fish tanks, and the birds. We were thrilled to find that they are no longer selling puppies! Yay! They did have them in a wall of glass kennels. :( And worse yet, they were getting them from a puppy mill.

I didn't bother to wash my cloth diapers before we went. I knew I had a couple of Pampers in my diaper bag, and I figured we could just buy a small pack in the city, which we did. I think I used 2 or 3, and I HATED them, all day! They smell funny, even when they're clean! Not something I ever noticed before I cloth diapered. I suppose that smell is just part of the "new baby smell" (a.k.a. Johnson's [cancer-causing] Baby products & diaper chemicals). Next time around (I say/think that a lot), I probably will just wash my new baby in water, so I can enjoy the REAL new baby smell. And you KNOW I'll be cloth diapering, right from the start.

Yeah...got sidelined there. The Pampers smelled funny to me. And, they didn't fit very well, and, they're just not soft & fluffy! Yucky, crispy, papery, thin, squishy-when-wet, disposable diapers! Weird. I had heard a couple cd'ing friends say "yucky 'sposies". And when I used Pampers, I loved the smell of (clean) Pampers Baby Dry diapers. Some artificial baby powdery smell? Cloth diapers smell gross in the morning--that lovely ammonia-soaked smell. But honestly, I prefer that to that weird Pampers smell now.

Anyhoo...hopefully I can sell my pack of gross Pampers. I washed my cloth diapers as soon as the baby was in bed last night, couldn't wait to get him back in cloth this morning! Lol. Oh, and I bought some flannel nursing pads, too. I figure, as seldom as I have to use nursing pads, and as little as I leak, why keep buying boxes of (disposable) Lansinoh nursing pads, at $13 a box?

I'm also considering buying cloth pads (when I have a period again someday, BOO-YAH!). Oh yes. I do most definitely feel that is deserving of a boo-yah. :D No period for...18 months now!! WOW!! I am NOT looking forward to its return. It's gonna be a bitch. :P But, anyway, cloth pads: I figure, It's great that I'm cloth diapering, but then if I use disposable pads & tampons, one week a month, for the next 25 years...?? Hmm. Not so environmentally friendly. And why, when I choose cloth partially because disposables are full of chemicals, would I use pads & tampons for myself which are full of the exact same toxic-shock-syndrome-causing chemicals? Not to mention, they're full of plastics, and those weird absorbent polymers. (Ever put a pad or diaper in a sink full of water to see how they work? Very weird. Or mistakenly worn a regular diaper on your baby instead of a swim diaper in the pool? I did--the polymers swelled up so big they burst out the top of the diaper! It's like a gel. I think.)


K anyway. Cloth, cloth, everywhere. That doesn't solve the problem of how we (I) eat. I've taken lots of steps towards healthier living in other aspects. But the eating is the hardest part. Especially with awesome recipes tempting me on Pinterest. ;)

Well, tis about time I stopped ramblin' and was headin to bed. Bye 4 now!

No comments: