Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Day 1 of The No-Shampoo Experiment

Quite a while ago now, a friend of mine was talking about going shampoo-free, as a solution to her many allergies--skin and respiratory. She had read about it online, that some people washed their hair without shampoo, and in a week or two, the pH of their scalp balanced out, and the hair & scalp basically cleansed themselves, without shampoo. Shampoo strips the scalp of its natural oil, and causes an imbalance.

The other day, my cousin had posted on Facebook about going "poo-free", lol. Which of course generated lots of questions and discussion, as I think was the idea. ;) She said her hair is starting to look and feel really healthy, and she's even gotten compliments about it. 2 of her sisters are trying it, as well, and one of her friends has been doing it for a while now.

There was also a post about shampooing vs. not in a group I'm in on Fb (Informed Choice). So, I thought, why not? Why not give it a try, just for the sake of experimenting? What better time? I'm not working, or in school, so I'm not "in the public". No one's gonna see me while my hair & scalp are "adjusting". Lol. But actually, it's not that bad. It's really not even that noticeable.

I hadn't washed my hair (with shampoo) since...Sunday, I think. Maybe Saturday. :/ Today, I scrubbed my scalp really well, just with my fingertips, and rinsed my hair well. It feels a bit oilier than usual, heavier. But it's pretty soft, and feels conditioned. It doesn't feel dirty or grimy or gross. I don't use any styling products in my hair either, though.

My cousin also said she's using coconut oil as a conditioner after showering, and sometimes a vinegar rinse in the shower. I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as coconut oil on this fair Isle of Grand Manan, but I do have some Moroccan Oil (somewhere--probably lost in the abyss at our house) that I may use, once the oils in my hair have balanced back out. I don't want to start using it now, because I figure my scalp will be producing enough oil, while it's "adjusting".

Anyhoo...that's all, folks. Ttfn!

*Here is an article explaining about not using shampoo:

http://natural-forces.com/essays/poofree.htm

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I only use the coconut oil on my ends on the days when it feels drier. :) So only a few times so far and I've heard of this morroccan oil and want to try it! How is it?

lauraleighton said...

I haven't used my Moroccan Oil since I've been doing no shampoo. But when I did use it, I LOVED it. It's awesome. But expensive. Like...$34 a bottle. But! It goes a LONG way.