Wednesday, October 26, 2011
Cloth Diapers
So...I am a bit cloth-diaper-obsessed...just maybe.
A friend asked me what I liked, and ever since, I've been spamming her inbox with diaper sites. :P So, I decided to write a note, instead. Then if anyone wants to check it out, they can. Rather than having their inbox always full of diaper links from me. ;)
My #1 recommended diaper:
www.clothbytel.com
These are pocket diapers. A pocket diaper has an outer part--a shell--and an absorbent insert that you stuff inside, or lay flat, inside the diaper. The outside of the shell is polyester-urethane laminate (PUL), Minkee PUL, or Bamboo, with fleece on the inside. The inserts are micro-terry, VERY absorbent. She also makes Super Soakers, for overnight, wetbags, swim diapers, leg warmers, and is soon going to be carrying fitteds, and prefolds! At $8 ea. for a diaper + insert, ya can't beat it! And, they're SO CUTE (and squishy, and fluffy!). They come in all kinds of adorable prints. Check 'em out! Oh, and if you happen to decide to buy some, please tell Chantal that I sent you! :)
There are lots of other pocket and all-in-one diapers out there, too. I find all kinds of them.
These are a drawstring diaper cover, with a hemp cotton prefold insert. They say that they will fit from a preemie to a toddler:
www.greenlinediaper.com
These were recommended by a friend (Kawaii--another affordable pocket diaper):
www.theluvyourbaby.com
Econobum diapers are another more affordable option. They're very plain--white covers, white prefold inserts. They sell starter kits, or complete kits, for very reasonable prices.
www.econobum.com
Applecheeks are a popular one, made right here in Canada--well, Quebec. ;) These are available in solid colors and prints. They come in 2 sizes, and each diaper comes with a hemp cotton prefold insert. They don't run cheap--but no more expensive than some of the other brand-name diapers. They're a very sturdy diaper, I'm sure they would last through multiple children if you bought them for your first baby. I have ONE that a friend gave me. It's VERY nice, but unfortunately, too small for Brendan (it's a size 1). Can't wait to use it with my next baby, though!
www.applecheeks.com
There are SO many different brands: Kushies, Rumparooz, Flip, Fuzzibunz, Kissaluvs, Happy Heinys, GroVia, BumGenius--and recently, I found Rumpkinz on Facebook, which are an embroidered, fitted diaper that I now must have some of (Like I need them).
Most of these brands have Facebook pages, look 'em up!
My 2nd favorite diapers (well maybe they're a tie with the ClothbyTel's) are my beloved prefolds.
I have a HUGE stack of standard-size, Indian cotton, unbleached prefolds that were given to me, as well as some Bummis (bum-ease) covers. They're pretty huge (for Brendan, who has a tiny bum). There are Indian cotton prefolds, and Chinese prefolds. The Indian cotton ones are so much softer.
There are 2 ways to wear a prefold diaper: fastened with pins or a Snappi, or, folded in thirds inside a cover, shown in this video:
http://youtu.be/t2i5bi4KJRw
I bought 2nd-hand, newborn-size Chinese prefolds, and Thirsties covers that I found on Kijiji.ca. If you know what you're looking for, you can find some great deals on Kijiji or eBay. I LOVE my prefolds. They're simple, they're SUPER cheap, and they're easy to care for. You can wash them with ANYTHING, provided it doesn't irritate your baby's skin. They're bullet-proof. Unlike diapers with microfiber, they don't get a residue that would prevent them from absorbing. You can use any diaper rash cream with them, and any detergent, and even fabric softener sheets.
Using prefolds just feels very "organic". They're 100% cotton, and they're the cheapest, besides "flat" diapers--which are the giant squares of cotton or flannel (that you fold 5 ways from Sunday) that our mothers used on us 30 years ago. :)
Here are some sites where you can buy sized prefold diapers in Canada:
http://stores.ebay.ca/The-Cloth-Diaper-Com-E-bay-Store/_i.html?_fsub=4602686
http://cushytushy.ca/?p=2386
http://hyenacart.com/megaroosdesigns/index.php?c=4
And if you wanna feel like a REALLY super-earth-mama, try wool covers. Wool covers are the most breathable, believe it or not. So, they keep baby cool in the summer, and warm in the winter. Wool does not absorb odors--the natural lanolin wicks away moisture & odors quickly. Therefore, it doesn't have to be washed often, as it basically self-cleans. You simply air dry. And it keeps baby VERY dry overnight. There are SO many places to buy wool covers, from eBay to etsy, and tons of retail sites--just Google "wool diaper covers". There are knitted wool "soakers", and woven wool covers. They woven ones can be pricey, but they're worth it, cuz they are REALLY leak-proof. I have one Stacinator wool cover, and one Sugar Peas wool cover.
GOODMAMAS--these are dangerous, I warn you!! I never would've thought I'd be addicted to buying diapers. :P But seriously. They're SO...DAMN...ADORABLE. They are a fitted diaper. Most of them have snaps, and will fit (most) babies, from newborns all the way to potty training. They also make a newborn-size diaper, for smaller newborns. I'll definitely be buying some "next time around".
There are HUNDREDS (possibly thousands?) of prints, fabrics, colors. They are all cotton, as far as I know. Most of them are NOT waterproof, so they require a cover if you're going to wear them under clothing, or out & about, or at naptime/bedtime. They do carry an all-in-one that has a waterproof layer called Goodmama ONE. Most mamas who love Goodmamas don't want to cover them up, though! So, we just let our little ones roll around in their ADORABLE diaper, with maybe a t-shirt, and some legwarmers. :) There's nothing more precious than a fluffy, fat, squishy cloth diaper on that little bum! :D
Goodmamas are very collectible, and have a high resale value. People even bid on them sometimes. I've seen offers for $200 for an "ISO" (In Search Of). To buy them new, they're usually from $25 & up (each). Typically they re-sell for somewhere between $15-$60 (a piece), depending on the condition, and the print. There's a whole network devoted to Goodmamas. To check them out:
www.thegoodmama.com
Or on Flickr at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/12463215@N00/
There's also a (closed) Facebook group called Goodmama Buy-Sell-Trade. You have to ask to join. This is the most dangerous place, as there are over 50 posts a day of diapers to buy, sell, or trade. Lol. Don't do it! ;)
There are soooooo many choices, it can seem overwhelming when you start looking. The "bottom" line (har har, pun intended) is, any of these diapers will work just great. Pick one that you like, that fits your baby well. Maybe order a couple different brands to try, and when you settle on one, stock up.
To go 2-3 days between washes, you will need 2 to 3 dozen diapers and/or inserts. If you are buying prefolds, you will need at least half a dozen PUL covers (or 2 or 3 wool covers). Don't stress it--cloth diapering is supposed to be simpler, and better for your baby, and the environment! I haven't found any that are "better"--just ones that are my favorites. ;) People tend to think cloth diapering is so much more work, but really, it's just laundry. One or two extra loads a week.
Hope that at least SOMEBODY out there is interested in cloth diapering, and gets something useful from this "note"!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
MY LINKS DID NOT EFFING POST. IDK WHY. SOMEBODY?!?!?!?!?!
when you are writing a new post you type in your link (or copy and paste from where it is located) and then there is a link button at the top of your page where you are writing. So you highlight your link and then press the link button and it will make it a link. Did that make sense?? I hope so. If not, I'll try to explain further. So you can go back into this post and edit it and highlight all your links (one at a time) and then hit your link button and it should fix it. Let me know if this works!
Yep, I know what you mean. I tried it a few different ways, Idk if I tried that or not, but I will.
Yep. I tried that. It shows it as a link, but it won't actually go to the link when I click on it.
Post a Comment