Well, what a day!!! Gad. Well, not today, so much. Last night was the disaster. I went down to the basement to give the cat her medicine, and she was standing by the stove, staring over towards the washer looking horrified. I'm like, What in the world is wrong with you cat? When I went to pick her up, water was rushing up through the floor in the corner, where the drain (behind the washer) runs out to the ditch. I mean it was RUSHING in. What had happened, we soon discovered, was that there was ice in the ditches, clear from Craig's to Tim & Holly's, and the ditches were flooding, because the culverts were blocked off. So, the only place for it to go was back through the "drain" pipe into our basement. Within an hour, there was TEN INCHES of water covering the entire basement. Ten inches! By then, a few of the boys from the Fire Department were there, trying to get it pumped out. But, the holes in the screen at the end of the pump were too big, and debris soon clogged that pump up. So, they had to go get a different one. And luckily, that one worked just great. Didn't take long and it was down to 4 inches. Then they went and got us a sump-pump to get the rest of it out. We ran that all night, and luckily, through the night, the ice melted out of the ditch and the basement drained out (except for a few little puddles).
So, today, I called Mark (Wilcox) up, and he came and helped Geoff & I clean the basement up. He also loaned us a few dehumidifiers to help everything dry out--like, our woodpile, for example. There was still water that needed to be vacuumed up, and dirt and debris everywhere, and things that were water-damaged that needed to be thrown out, and just a lot of cleaning in general to be done. Not to mention that we have a couch and chair in our basement around the woodstove...so those had to be blocked up so they'll dry out completely. I could only help for half an hour, because I had to come babysit. But it'll be kind of nice to go home and not have to even think about it, because it's already taken care of. Hopefully we can get rid of our old woodstove and our old wood furnace soon, too. Cuz once everything is really dried up and cleaned out of there, I'd like to re-surface old cement floor, and paint everything, and have a nice CLEAN basement. I'd like for it to be a little lounge down there, and basically have it be just an extension of the upstairs. Because, our house is so small, so it'd be nice to have an extra living space to use. Ron & Liz Harvey's house gave me that idea. Their basement is set up really nice. All painted up, couple couches, coffee table, coffee maker, tap, tv, end tables, etc. etc. Ne ways....I thought it was a good idea.
Yeah I wouldn't have even remembered it was Valentine's Day today, if it wasn't for the fact that Geoff came in (while I was still in bed) this morning and wished me Happy Valentine's Day. I thought us women were supposed to be the ones who remembered stuff like that! Oops. I still haven't given Geoff his card I got for him. Or was it cards. I don't remember. I got them a couple weeks ago and stashed them in my dresser...then I forgot it was Valentine's Day!!
So, to update on Geoff's "condition", he's perfectly fine, coming along well. In fact, he was driving today for the first time. When we went for his appointment, we didn't have to wait too long to get in, and then they cut off his old cast. And he started to black out. Lol!! I'm not sure WHY...but anyway, he did. He was sitting in this recliner, and starting turning white and shaking, and telling me to lean the chair back more because his ears were ringing and he was starting to black out!! So one of the guys came in and did it, and grabbed him a glass of orange juice, and a cold wet facecloth to put on his head. And after a few minutes, he was fine. I guess it was just the idea of the possibility of surgery, and also, looking at his foot after they took the cast off, and them touching it, just grossed him out. Something tells me he probably won't ever work in the medical profession. But anyway...Lee Crossman's uncle, Adrian, was the one who helped him, and also re-casted his leg after Dr. Abraham and the med-student who was working with him, had looked it over, and looked at the x-rays. He did a great job casting it, it's a much better cast than the one Dr. Qayyuum put on him! More sculpted to his leg. And, they put black "tape" over it, too. And gave him a little stocking that ties around the back of his heel. Anyway. He doesn't have any serious tendon or ligament damage, and he certainly doesn't need any surgeries. I really didn't think he would. And his cast is a walking cast, so he's been starting to put a little weight on it lately. He has another appointment for March 3rd, so we also made a follow-up appointment for the cat for that day, too (for her shots). Maybe we'll stay with Uncle Gavin and Auntie Jean the next time we go up. It'll be in about 3 weeks. Well, 2 and a half. We stayed with Greg and Julie this last time, had lots of fun. Went to my first Fantansia party with Julie--it was her first one, too. That was a ball...I'll definitely be having a Fantasia party for my bridal shower when I get married--provided that the same woman will host it for me. She was hilarious!! And Julie & Greg's little boy loved me. Hardly left my side the whole time I was there. We ate out a couple times, I got to practice my city driving lots, and argue with Geoff lots, too. He is a nervous passenger. We were both stressed, anyway, and that didn't help. And the fact that there was 6 inches of snow and slush on the road the morning we had to do the most driving didn't help, either. But, oh well. We made it home safe, and got over it.
Anyway, that about updates everything, for anyone who may still be checking in on my life periodically. Bye 4 now!
No comments:
Post a Comment