Well, it's only been a LITTLE while this time. As compared to the usual several months' space between blogs. Our New Year's "party" pretty much sucked...should've gone next door, or maybe up to Lexie's, or to Sheena & Matthew's. I don't know if we'll even bother another year. Andrew & Miranda showed up, and that's it. Merv & Shawnna didn't come over, because people stopped in to their place before they came to ours. And Anne & Charles didn't come, either. So. Boooooooo. To all of them. Lol. Ne way...oh well I guess!!
Last Wednesday I joined Weight Watchers, so I'm finally REALLY going to do something about my weight. I said this last year, too. But the only difference is, I have more reasons for the goal, and, I joined a group, and started a program, which will help a lot. I don't have to try to figure out a plan on my own, and I have lots of reasons to be accountable every week. And weigh-ins, and meetings every week, and recipes, and books to help me learn how much is a normal amount for me to eat in the run of a day. And, Weight Watchers is a lot more realistic than a lot of things I've tried. I mean, I would LIKE to be a total granola-hippie-green type person, but I don't think I could do it all at once. I'd love to be the kind of person who grows their own vegetables, and herbs, and raises their own meat, like chicken and turkey and pork, and all that. And we may very well try a few chickens this Spring. But. We don't have the financial resources to be totally self-sustained, at this point. Our house is small, and our land certainly isn't large enough for a small farm.
Anyway. Weight Watchers seems more realistic because you can still allow yourself the foods you would normally eat. Like, I had a bit of chocolate cake today. And a doughnut yesterday, and the day before (because I brought home a few from Tim Horton's). Not that I would necessarily have something sweet EVERY day, but I could, if I wanted to. As long as it was within my points. The only thing is, it makes more sense to eat a LOT of something that is worth LESS points, than to eat one thing that's worth a lot of points, because of course you'll be fuller. Like, for example, a doughnut is worth probably 6 out of my daily 28 points. Or, I could have salad or veggies, fruit, soy milk or low-fat milk, etc. etc. And be way more full.
And, exercising earns you some points back. And, you have 35 extra points a week, on top of your daily points. So, say, if you were going to a birthday party or a shower or a wedding, you could use your extra points allowance. You don't have to use the extras. But you do have to eat your daily points, or else you won't be full, and you won't lose the weight safely. You might lose weight, but you wouldn't feel good, and you'd lose it too fast. So why deprive yourself.
This week, I've been SLOOOOOOOOOOWLY recovering from the stomach flu...so I didn't use all my daily points, because I didn't feel like eating much. But yesterday and today I've been feeling almost normal again. So I used all my points yesterday, and I've probably used nearly all my points for today, too. Plus, it was beautiful out today, so I went for a walk, too, which was nice. I'm hoping I do lose SOME weight this week, even though it might not be much, because being sick, all I've done is sleep and lay around for days.
I think this really makes sense. For a long time, I just wanted to try to figure it out on my own. But, clearly, that wasn't working for me. So, I gave in and joined something. And it's something that has been successful for a lot of people, for years. So why not give it a try. I'm hoping that by summertime, I'll actually be able to buy myself a really nice bathing suit. I haven't worn one in about 3 years, I'd say. I'd just wear shorts and a t-shirt in swimming. Except that Sheena bought me a bathing suit from Global last year, which didn't fit too flatteringly, so I didn't wear it much. And I certainly wouldn't have strutted around in it out to Miller's, with Eric and Alyssa and Darryl (and whoever else) out there. And I'm hoping, too, that if/when my friend Lyndsey from Florida comes up again this year in September, that I can surprise her. I mean, I'll tell her I've lost some weight, but hopefully she'll be shocked. Last time she saw me, this past fall, I was as big as I am now. And I'm hoping by September, I'll have reached my goal weight, and maybe more, if need be.
I'd like to think in another couple weeks I'll fit back into my size 16's again!! I was cleaning out my closet in my room at Mum & Dad's today, and I have 2 brand new pairs of size 16 jeans that I never wore, because I could barely squeeze into them when I got them. But, I didn't send them back, because I wanted to lose weight and fit into them. Well. That was 2 years ago now, I believe. Maybe even three years ago. And all I've done is gain more. Never lost a pound. Not for very long, anyway. And, I've kept a few of my nicer size 16 shirts, too, in hopes that I could one day wear them again. And, Miranda gave me a pair of size 12 jeans that were really big on her, so she was thinking they might fit me. HAH!! I couldn't even pull them up over my thighs! But, once I've reached my goal weight, I'd bet they'll fit. I used to wear a 12, once upon a time. But it's been a long time!!
I can't wait. I went to see Dr. Parveen last week, to get some bloodwork done, so that I'd know what my cholesterol levels were, and my blood sugar, and my kidney and liver function, and blah blah...whatever else they test for. So I have to go back on Monday to see what the results were. I'm sure they weren't good, whatever they were. My cholesterol's been high for years. I should probably be eating oatmeal every day. And of course, getting more exercise, would be the most important thing.
This time, it's not just about losing weight to be thinner. I really am concerned about my health, too. I mean, who doesn't want to be thinner, of course? Nobody likes being 210 pounds...oh wait, 212.4 was the official weight, actually. But, I also don't want my cholesterol to be sky-high, and I might have to take statins to lower it, we'll see. And, I don't want to become diabetic, nor do I want heart disease, or to have a stroke, or an anneurism, or a heart attack, or any of those things that can come from being overweight. Or, obese, as I am. I might not look obese, but, I am! But, the older you get, the more your mortality becomes a reality. When you're a teenager, you don't think about diabetes or heart disease or high cholesterol. But, the closer you get to 30, the more you start thinking, or worrying, about your health.
Besides. I want to get married within a couple years. And who wants to be fat on their wedding day? Not I. And, I want to have kids, too. And I want to already have healthy eating habits in place by then. And, I don't want all the extras risks (during pregnancy) that come with being obese. I'm sure my pregnancies will be risky enough without it, given the bladder infection & kidney problems I've had since I was young.
I can't wait til Spring when I can get on my bike, and get some rollerblades, and get out walking every day. That'll be so nice. Maybe Geoff could fix the trampoline frame this year, too, so I could come jump on that sometimes.
Well, I suppose that's enough rambling for this time. Likely whoever's reading it is getting tired of it by now. Bye for now!!
No comments:
Post a Comment