Sunday, December 30, 2007

December 30th, 2007

Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah. And, Merry Christmas. And Happy Almost New Year. Wow. 2008 in 2 more days!! Doesn't seem possible. It's always like that though, it seems. All of a sudden, another year's gone by. In April, Geoff & I will have been together 8 years. EIGHT YEARS!!! In a way, that doesn't seem possible. But in a way, it seems like we've just always been together. The time keeps rolling by, and here we still are! Soon twill likely be time to get married. I still say I'll give it a couple years, just because I want to go to school, and I want us to be able to afford a nice wedding, too. And, I want probably a year to plan, too. Really, wanting to go to school wouldn't hinder me from marrying Geoff. But I do definitely want to be out of debt, and save up some money, so we can have a nice little wedding. Hell, even a nice LITTLE wedding, we're still looking at probably $10,000! Or more...But I'm not one for having everything perfect, and everything catered, and hiring some retarded wedding planner who just wants me to spend more and more and more. Nnnnnnnno. Women forget that the wedding is not the most important thing. The MARRIAGE is. I thought Sheena & Matthew's wedding was nice. And they didn't spend a fortune on it. It was simple, beautiful, and the point was, they loved each other, and now they're married. It wasn't memorable because they spent a billion dollars on it. It was memorable because of the happiness surrounding it.

Aaaaaaaaanyway. All I want is a nice dress, bridesmaid's dresses, suits, the whole favors/invites package, and a Tate picnic. And definitely Stephanie Fitzsimmons for a photographer. I'm sure she likely doesn't cost billions of dollars, either. But point being, I'd rather have a small, simple wedding that doesn't cost a lot, and not have this HUUUUUUUUUGE debt from our wedding hanging over our heads when we're officially starting our lives together. Besides. I'd rather have a wicked honeymoon and spend money on THAT!

Um so...hm that was an interesting sidetrack. But, it's just one of the many things I'm thinking about, for the year to come. We've finally got some steady money coming in, so, we're working at paying off all the bills...which mostly Geoff has accumulated. I have a few small bills of my own, but I'd bet they'll be paid off before February even hits. Even Geoff's bills aren't an unsurmountable load. It's realistic for us to aim to have them paid off by summertime. Or at least fall. I hope summer, though. The sooner, the better! And then maybe next Christmas my ring will be official. I got a sweet ring this Christmas, which is officially a promise ring, and also, just a nice ring to have, because Geoff's never bought me any jewellry before. It's yellow gold with 5 hearts in a row: Ruby, Diamond, Ruby, Diamond, Ruby (my birthstone). The rubies are right-side-up, the diamonds are upside-down. It's very delicate and pretty. Should take a few pictures and put them on Facebook.

I think another thing we'll probably do in this coming year is get another dog. Maybe by Spring. Whenever the timing's right. We need to take our time and look around, and decide whether we want a purebred, or just a mutt, or whether we'd rather rescue a dog, or...whatever. Really check out all the options, and decide carefully.

And I'd definitely like to get some hens/chickens in the Spring, too. I'd love to have laying hens. Nothing compares to FRESH eggs. In fact, I'm making a quiche with some right now. And I'd like to raise a few "Meat Kings", too. Because the chicken we had that Sonya raised one year was the BEST chicken EVER. And, when you raise them yourself, you know exactly what went into them. No hormones and all that crap. We thought about having just one pig, too. Put a pen in the mud out behind the alders, behind the field. Pigs are pretty easy to keep fed, believe it or not. We've been feeding Reid's for 2 years now. Every time I use vegetables, the pigs get all the scraps. Or, anytime something goes bad, we feed it to the pigs. I feed them the pumpkins after Halloween, sometimes feed them leftovers that we're sick of. Then you feed them their normal feed, too. Ne way it might be fun.

We're having a SMALL....I REPEAT, SMALL, New Year's party tomorrow night in our basement. Probably should um...make phonecalls today, if we expect anyone to show up. We have a nice glass-door woodstove now, and some furniture down there. I just think it'd be fun to hang out down there in front of the fire with some tunes going and have a few drinks. Don't get me wrong, I'm not typically a big drinker or anything. But every once in a while, I don't think there's anything wrong with it, as long as you don't overdo it. Besides, who wants to get drunk off their ass and be sick and hungover. So, Miranda & me are going to clean out the basement tomorrow and set everything up. Even if 4 or 5 people show up, that's FINE with me!! I'm not big on these parties where everybody and their dog just shows up. Because usually, it winds up being people you don't know, people who are TOO DAMN OLD to be crashing parties, and a bunch of teenagers. Nnnnnnnnno thanks. So we'll try to keep it small so people don't just start showing up.

Well, I should really go, check on that quiche, maybe play the piano, while I'm all by myself and I've got the chance to reconnect with it. Sounds silly, if you're not a musician, but if you are, you know what I mean. When you haven't played regularly for a long time, you need to just sit down and play until you're done. Could be hours, sometimes. Hopefully Geoff will be here soon, too. He was just waiting for his mother to drop by before she went to the boat. But it's 2:53, so I'd say that ship has sailed. HA. Ok I'll stop now...That's my update for probably another 6 months!! Bye for now.

Laura

No comments: