Sunday, March 04, 2007

March 3rd/07, 12:47 p.m.






Wow, I didn't realize how late it was! I can't imagine I'll get up any before dinnertime tomorrow. Miranda & Geoff & I went away for the day today, to get some free furniture--yay, free! And Miranda got her tax returns...returned...so we had a fun day. However, we only got 2 & 1/2 hours of sleep last night. And got up REALLY early this morning cuz we had to run to Seal Cove to grab some rope before we went to jump on the boat. Ne ways, we made it in time. And had lots of fun away being foolish and getting lost and eating crap, and getting our tongues pierced. Yup, that's right. Might sound retarded if you didn't know me. But for those who really know me, you would know that I had it pierced back in 2004, and just recently (like maybe a year ago at the most) took it out, cuz the bottom ball was leaving a little sore dent on the bottom of my mouth, and I didn't realize (until AFTER I took it out of course) that you could get a barbell that was really short, with a flat plastic bottom on it. So. If that happens again, that is what I shall do. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnyways...I didn't think I missed it at all. I was like, Oh well, it must've just been a phase, and now it's gone, and I don't care. But then, Miranda wanted to get her tongue (or her lip--she wasn't sure) pierced, so we went to Pins & Needles on the corner of Princess St. and Prince WIlliam St. Well. Once I got in there and saw ALL that jewellry selection, I really really wished that I still had my tongue pierced. Especially because if I'd known about the short barbell with the flat bottom, I'd never have taken it out in the first place. And it's not JUST that...I was thinking about it the other day, because I was looking through my jewellry boxes at home, and wished I'd never taken it out, and missed having all the little tongue accessories to play with and switch up. Anyway. So Miranda decided she wanted her tongue pierced, not her lip. Good decision, I think lip piercings usually don't look too great on anyone. So Geoff & I sat and watched the dude stick a needle through her tongue--which by the way, isn't really gross like you might think, it just looks weird & unnatural. Like, wait a minute, that just went THROUGH her tongue...it just looks weird. Not everyday you see that...Anyway so I got all nostalgic, and kept looking at all the tongue rings in the glass display cases...and I'm like, "awwww...I should get my tongue pierced again. I really should! Should I? I should! Yeah. I'm gonna have to sometime soon." And then Miranda hands me 20 bucks and says, "There ya go, do it up!" Lol. So, I decided right then & there at the very last second very impulsively that indeed, I would get my tongue re-pierced.

Well well. THAT friggin hurt, needless to say. The guy really knew what he was doing, because he took FOREVER to place the clamps in the exact spot he thought would be best. Because I would have scar tissue from having it previously pierced, and also, and most importantly, there is a nerve that runs down the center of your tongue that could very easily mess up your tongue badly if a person didn't know what they were doing. That was what scared me most the first time I got it done. But I wasn't even thinking about that this time. Never even entered my mind. The guy's well-trained, been there for years, knows what he's doing. Anyway. He definitely knew what he was doing, but he still hit some scar-tissue, and it did HURT I will tell you. Much more than the first time. Obviously. However. I have a distinct advantage over Miranda, because I knew what to expect, as I've had it done before. And I know how to navigate around it without biting it. And my tongue is used to the weight of it, so it doesn't feel all queer & heavy & foreign. I haven't bitten it yet, and I don't expect to, as I rarely ever did over the 2 years it was in. And I know how to look after it until it heals, and I know how long it will take to heal, and I knew what it would feel like after. Anyway...Mum was upset that I got it redone. I didn't realize she disliked it that much or I probably wouldn't have done it. She never mentioned it really. Until I told her I had it re-pierced on the phone earlier & she started crying about it and sighed numerous times. Anyway. I explained to her that it's not some sexual thing to me. It's jewellry to me, and I missed it. In fact, I don't use it for sexual purposes at all, because contrary to popular belief, it is not the tongue ring that enhances pleasure, it's the wearer of the tongue ring. The stupid tongue ring has little to no effect in that area. Uhh...so yeah. Anyway. Told Mum that I felt bad, if I'd known it bothered her that much, maybe I wouldn't have done it. She was like, "Well, you don't have to live your life to please me." Still felt bad though.

So Miranda's all in agony with hers, cuz apparently...well I don't really know why. Just because, I guess. It was fine, for most of the evening, but then later on it was really bothering her. But I'm sure it'll get better. Actually, I think it already has. Since we got some PROPER mouthwash that actually WORKS, not the crappy alcohol-free stuff they advised we use, she said it wasn't as sore. I have no problem going against that theory. They told me to be SURE to use antiseptic mouthwash when I got it pierced in 04, and now, they say you should use alcohol-free. So we bought some supposedly VERY concentrated alcohol-free mouthwash from Pins & Needles, and it sucked. So we diluted some Listerine, and it's great.

Aaaaanyway, we had a lot of fun away, besides that. And when I get my tax returns, I think we should do it again. And by that time, we can buy a bunch of tongue-rings to switch up with, cuz our tongues will be all nicely healed. Yay! Lol I'm talking to Kate right now on msn, and I'm not gonna tell her that we got our tongues done. Cuz then I'd be on msn telling this story all over again for like half an hour, and I really gotta go to bed NOW, and she will just read this anyway. No offense, Kate. Talk to ya tomorrow I'm sure. I'm excited. I'm sure you couldn't tell. I'll put some pictures up tomorrow when I'm not DYING of exhaustion. Oh, by the way, got my hair chopped off, too. Last week. What is with me and drastic, impulsive changes lately? Weird. Well, goodnight!

7 comments:

smokey josie said...

Gross gross gross. When Claudia was in nursing school they swabbed various things -- the bottoms of their shoes, toilet handles, the walls, garbage can lids, and tongue rings. And the tongue rings had more, dirtier germs than anything else!! That is just gross if you ask me.

lauraleighton said...

meh...i had it done once, and it would only get swollen if i got a cold. besides, it's not like anyone has to reach in my mouth & touch it. and i suppose if i use listerine daily, which i generally do, that would probably help keep it clean a lot. And, if I change it often, that would probably help, too. I think a lot of people don't bother to change their tongue rings often, so plaque & crap build up on them probably. Anyway, no I didn't know that. Now I'll be especially vigilant keeping it clean.

smokey josie said...

Did you also know that tongue rings have been linked to heart disease?

lauraleighton said...

yeah sure, and brain cancer too. I heard that one when i got it done before. if it was really true, i think it would be plastered all over the news, and no one would have one i wouldn't think.

Scottie said...

i heard that picking your nose gives you diahrea...

lauraleighton said...

hahaha

Kirk said...

I always been against all piercings not for any Spiritual reasons but because of needles. I shuddered as I read your story. I know if i ever tried it I would pass out and then they'd probably tattoo something embarrassing on my forehead while I was out. The other thing for me and my tongue is I tend to use my tongue quite a bit in my job and have never felt any passion to put all of that at risk by sticking inanimate objects through it. I a;ways think of Ratrace when I think of the tongue piercing. That was funny stuff.