I have no idea what time it is, the clock is wrong on this computer, and there's no clock in this classroom. Which I hate. I hate not knowing when class will be over. I was 10 minutes late today, thanks in part to my mother. I would've been early, otherwise. Last night I actually went home for the night (for a change), and I was exhausted from too many late nights over march break. So I went to bed at ten to 10. I put a load of laundry in before I went to bed, and went out when it was about halfway through and asked Mum to put it in the dryer for me so I could go to bed. And that was it--when I went to bed, I was asleep about ten minutes later. Dammit this keyboard is annoying, the stupid keys keep sticking! Stupid Macs. Anyways. I was also depending on Mum to wake me up this morning, because I forgot my alarm clock at Geoff's. And she slept in. So I was an hour later getting up than I'd wanted to be, and then, on top of that, she'd forgotten to put my laundry in the dryer. So! I was 10 minutes late for class. And what am I supposed to say--"It's my Mum's fault I'm late because she forgot to put my laundry in the dryer,"?? Oh yeah...I'm sure that sounds like a reasonable excuse.
Anyway, here I am. I missed the first part of class, I'm not really sure what we were doing, they were just continuing to work on the paraphrase (which I finished yesterday) when I got here. So I guess it must not have been anything extremely important. So I just printed off another copy of the paraphrase so that I can read it over & try to mostly memorize the story. We have to present it to the class, and that's our public speaking requirement for the year. Unfortunately that won't be the end of humiliating ourselves in front of, or along with, the whole class. I know that when we do Shakespeare we'll have to act out the scenes. Yay. I'm so looking forward to that. The kids in this class are all 5 years younger than me. Actually, two of them are 3 years younger. I'm so glad I put off graduating for 5 years. Oh well. I can actually confidently say now that I am GOING to graduate this year. I'm halfway through the second semester (my last credit), making mostly 80's.
Well! Mr. Griffin just handed back my paraphrase, told me it was too much like the original, wanted it in my own words. Uuuh....it is in my own words, every single paragraph is exactly how I would tell it if I were teaching it to the class. I just did exactly what he does when he's reading something Middle-English or Old-English to the class. I went through each paragraph, and made it understandable, and explained it. How that's not a paraphrase I'm not sure. Lots of grammar corrections, too. Because we all know what a grammar (and spelling) expert Mr. Griffin is. Basically what he's telling me is I have to dumb it way down. Great. Just what I wanted to do. It's in my own words, but I have to dumb it down so it SOUNDS like it's in my own words. Beautiful. How about I compromise my writing because it doesn't sound "typical" enough? Yeah. Maybe I can throw a few "y'alls" in there or something. Or some "ehs" or "huhs" or "somethings" or "anyways". That might make it sound dumb enough. I dunno. Maybe I'll put "I dunno" in it too. Give it some character. Apparently Mr. Griffin forgets what my writing is like? I am NOT going to dumb it way down, because it IS in my own words. Athankyou.
Okay well, I'm officially pissed off now. Gtg.
No comments:
Post a Comment