This picture was shared on my Facebook this morning, with the caption, as shown, underneath.
What do you think?
Some critics in fashion are knocking H&M for using "plus-size" models like Jennie Runk (pictured) in their ads. The average US woman wears size 12. LIKE if you agree that H&M is right.
Comment with your thoughts!
It really got me thinking. I commented:
"Oy oy oy. Women are actually biologically "geared" to gain weight more easily, and hold onto that weight. She certainly doesn't look unhealthy. It would show on her face, her skin, her hair, her eyes, if she were. Being skinny or even more toned doesn't necessarily mean a person is more healthy. How about people stop judging each other, and being critical of each other? She looks just as lovely as someone half her size. Women are "the fairer sex", no? We are beautiful creations, no matter what our size or shape!"
It really does bother me, though! There is so much of this kind of stuff, on Facebook, on Pinterest, everywhere online! Things like, "Real men like curves. Bones are for dogs!" Or, on the flip side, pictures of plus-size women, with captions like, "A reminder why I work out every day!" WHY are women always judging each other?
I have some friends & relatives who are naturally very skinny. Some might even call them scrawny. I'm quite sure one of them may even be a size zero! She is tiny. Do I bash their size? No. Do they bash me? Of course not. I know lots of women who are big, small, and everything in between! Some are skinny and very unhealthy. Some are "rounder", yet their healthful exuberance shines through their faces!
I have certainly obsessed about my weight and size in the past. But no more! I have been sick a LOT this winter, which has me much more concerned about my eating, and overall health, rather than my weight & shape. I know that if I were eating more immunity-boosting foods daily, and less SUGAR and junk food, I would not have had so much illness this year. I know this, and yet, it is more easily said than done!
Yes, I am overweight. Yes, I am amply padded. Some people may find it unattractive, maybe even disgusting! But I am no longer one of those people. I do not hate my body. I do not hate myself! I will not bash or ridicule skinny girls. Nor should skinnier girls bash bigger women! If we are living healthy lives--eating healthy, finding a healthy balance, happy, not heaping ourselves with unnecessary stress--THAT is what matters. Be the best person you can be, and ENJOY your life! Enjoy the occasional indulgence! But, balance that with being active in whatever way you enjoy.
I, for one, will never feel the need to nearly kill myself with "Insanity" or "P90X" workouts, just to have a flat stomach. If my belly is never flat (which it likely never will be, since I have had a baby and plan to have another), I will not care! I would love to be able to run, and not be winded. I would love to have stamina, and energy. I WILL achieve better health, but not in ways I don't enjoy. I love playing outside. I love jumping on a trampoline, going to the beach, swimming, playing with my son in the sunshine. I love 4-wheeling. I love walking. I LOVE YOGA. I also am going to take a hula hooping class soon!
My point is, why are we SO critical of our bodies, and other women's bodies? We are all built differently. But we really are ALL beautiful! Our physical attractiveness is not the most important part of us. We need to take care of our bodies--after all, you only get one per lifetime! But you certainly can't judge a book by its cover. And CHARACTER is far more important than appearance.
"Oy oy oy. Women are actually biologically "geared" to gain weight more easily, and hold onto that weight. She certainly doesn't look unhealthy. It would show on her face, her skin, her hair, her eyes, if she were. Being skinny or even more toned doesn't necessarily mean a person is more healthy. How about people stop judging each other, and being critical of each other? She looks just as lovely as someone half her size. Women are "the fairer sex", no? We are beautiful creations, no matter what our size or shape!"
It really does bother me, though! There is so much of this kind of stuff, on Facebook, on Pinterest, everywhere online! Things like, "Real men like curves. Bones are for dogs!" Or, on the flip side, pictures of plus-size women, with captions like, "A reminder why I work out every day!" WHY are women always judging each other?
I have some friends & relatives who are naturally very skinny. Some might even call them scrawny. I'm quite sure one of them may even be a size zero! She is tiny. Do I bash their size? No. Do they bash me? Of course not. I know lots of women who are big, small, and everything in between! Some are skinny and very unhealthy. Some are "rounder", yet their healthful exuberance shines through their faces!
I have certainly obsessed about my weight and size in the past. But no more! I have been sick a LOT this winter, which has me much more concerned about my eating, and overall health, rather than my weight & shape. I know that if I were eating more immunity-boosting foods daily, and less SUGAR and junk food, I would not have had so much illness this year. I know this, and yet, it is more easily said than done!
Yes, I am overweight. Yes, I am amply padded. Some people may find it unattractive, maybe even disgusting! But I am no longer one of those people. I do not hate my body. I do not hate myself! I will not bash or ridicule skinny girls. Nor should skinnier girls bash bigger women! If we are living healthy lives--eating healthy, finding a healthy balance, happy, not heaping ourselves with unnecessary stress--THAT is what matters. Be the best person you can be, and ENJOY your life! Enjoy the occasional indulgence! But, balance that with being active in whatever way you enjoy.
I, for one, will never feel the need to nearly kill myself with "Insanity" or "P90X" workouts, just to have a flat stomach. If my belly is never flat (which it likely never will be, since I have had a baby and plan to have another), I will not care! I would love to be able to run, and not be winded. I would love to have stamina, and energy. I WILL achieve better health, but not in ways I don't enjoy. I love playing outside. I love jumping on a trampoline, going to the beach, swimming, playing with my son in the sunshine. I love 4-wheeling. I love walking. I LOVE YOGA. I also am going to take a hula hooping class soon!
My point is, why are we SO critical of our bodies, and other women's bodies? We are all built differently. But we really are ALL beautiful! Our physical attractiveness is not the most important part of us. We need to take care of our bodies--after all, you only get one per lifetime! But you certainly can't judge a book by its cover. And CHARACTER is far more important than appearance.

No comments:
Post a Comment