Once upon a time...not so very long ago, and not so very far away...I used to be a cellphone addict. I started out with a simple Nokia, and a pre-paid plan, with 2500 texts a month. Once I got into it, I quickly exceeded 2500 messages a month, and immediately switched to an unlimited texting plan. I texted all day. Eventually, I even took my phone to work with me, and texted between customers. I was such a fast texter. I drove everyone nuts. I could send 4 messages before they could reply once. And then...one day...I ran out of minutes. And that was it. I just didn't buy another $25 phone card...ever again. Now--GASP!--I don't even have a cellphone. Except my old one, which Brendan loves playing with.
After months without one, y'know what I've discovered? It IS possible to survive, without being constantly connected to everyone you know, at all times! Now, if you need one, because you're on-call for work, that's understandable. Or, you need it because you're constantly on-the-go, and it's the only way for anyone to reliably be able to reach you. Or, maybe you opt out of having a home phone + internet bundle, and just have a smart phone instead, because it's cheaper.
But, I HATE, HATE, HATE that so many people are constantly GLUED to that DAMN CELLPHONE!!
At the table. On a walk. While driving. While a passenger. At the store. Watching tv. Playing with your kids. Oh, and a new one--WHILE SAILING A SKIFF!! (Caught my husband doing that earlier this evening!)
IT CAN WAIT! If it couldn’t, they’d call! PUT THAT DAMN THING DOWN PEOPLE!
I was inspired to write this rant by this article, http://www.stupendousmarriage.com/being-present-in-the-present#comment-6466 It's about a father who is addicted to his Blackberry. Kicking the soccer ball farther gives him 45 more seconds to sneak in some Blackberry...playing hide-and-seek gives him at least 2 minutes (when he's hiding). SERIOUSLY! It's about learning to be present in the present.
I realized, while I was writing a comment, that I am equally bad, in another way. I am a stay-at-home-mom, and spend FAR too much time, on my @$$, on the couch, on the laptop…like now, for example. When I should be in bed. I should've been in bed...2 hours ago! What am I doing?! Is Pinterest worth being overtired in the morning, when I have to get up at 7 with a 1-year-old? I could pin anytime. At naptime tomorrow. Or...not, even, at all!
I want, and need, to stop using it SO MUCH. And be busy DOING more, and be present more. Spend more quality time with my family. Maybe get some EXERCISE...go outside more...play with my son more...spend more time meal-planning, so I can eat healthier. Maybe tend that garden that desperately needs attention. Or practice the piano, so I could play for the choir again! Spend time doing things for, and with my husband. And maybe spend some time cultivating my REAL LIVE FRIENDSHIPS–not virtual ones!! Or...I could be devoting some time to reading the Bible every day. THAT might be slightly more important!!
I desperately need to unplug. I know I can, I've done it before (because I had to, because we couldn't afford the internet). I don't want to! But I do want to! But I don't...but I do....
I need self-discipline. The internet is here to stay. But that doesn't mean I need to spend the entirety of every evening on it. Or even part (if not all) of every naptime. I especially shouldn't be spending ANY time online when Brendan is UP. There's just no need of it, really. There are MUCH more important things to do. Even if that thing is nothing but sitting back, listening to the wind in the trees, watching him play, and drinking a coffee.
Or...going to bed! Goodnight.
After months without one, y'know what I've discovered? It IS possible to survive, without being constantly connected to everyone you know, at all times! Now, if you need one, because you're on-call for work, that's understandable. Or, you need it because you're constantly on-the-go, and it's the only way for anyone to reliably be able to reach you. Or, maybe you opt out of having a home phone + internet bundle, and just have a smart phone instead, because it's cheaper.
But, I HATE, HATE, HATE that so many people are constantly GLUED to that DAMN CELLPHONE!!
At the table. On a walk. While driving. While a passenger. At the store. Watching tv. Playing with your kids. Oh, and a new one--WHILE SAILING A SKIFF!! (Caught my husband doing that earlier this evening!)
IT CAN WAIT! If it couldn’t, they’d call! PUT THAT DAMN THING DOWN PEOPLE!
I was inspired to write this rant by this article, http://www.stupendousmarriage.com/being-present-in-the-present#comment-6466 It's about a father who is addicted to his Blackberry. Kicking the soccer ball farther gives him 45 more seconds to sneak in some Blackberry...playing hide-and-seek gives him at least 2 minutes (when he's hiding). SERIOUSLY! It's about learning to be present in the present.
I realized, while I was writing a comment, that I am equally bad, in another way. I am a stay-at-home-mom, and spend FAR too much time, on my @$$, on the couch, on the laptop…like now, for example. When I should be in bed. I should've been in bed...2 hours ago! What am I doing?! Is Pinterest worth being overtired in the morning, when I have to get up at 7 with a 1-year-old? I could pin anytime. At naptime tomorrow. Or...not, even, at all!
I want, and need, to stop using it SO MUCH. And be busy DOING more, and be present more. Spend more quality time with my family. Maybe get some EXERCISE...go outside more...play with my son more...spend more time meal-planning, so I can eat healthier. Maybe tend that garden that desperately needs attention. Or practice the piano, so I could play for the choir again! Spend time doing things for, and with my husband. And maybe spend some time cultivating my REAL LIVE FRIENDSHIPS–not virtual ones!! Or...I could be devoting some time to reading the Bible every day. THAT might be slightly more important!!
I desperately need to unplug. I know I can, I've done it before (because I had to, because we couldn't afford the internet). I don't want to! But I do want to! But I don't...but I do....
I need self-discipline. The internet is here to stay. But that doesn't mean I need to spend the entirety of every evening on it. Or even part (if not all) of every naptime. I especially shouldn't be spending ANY time online when Brendan is UP. There's just no need of it, really. There are MUCH more important things to do. Even if that thing is nothing but sitting back, listening to the wind in the trees, watching him play, and drinking a coffee.
Or...going to bed! Goodnight.
No comments:
Post a Comment