Saturday, September 01, 2012

Homemade Coconut Milk Shampoo

So, I caved again & washed my hair...sort of. The baking soda wasn't cutting it. And I'm sure that's just part of the adjustment period, but I just couldn't STAND it anymore! Since my hairdresser washed my hair, it's been super greasy.

But, instead of totally giving up, I made my own shampoo! : ) My sister had a little lavender liquid castile soap, Idk where she got it, we sure don't have it here. So I used that, coconut milk, and a tsp. or so of vegetable oil. It's fairly watery, but it worked really well. I used a LOT, WAY too much. Next time I'll use less. But of course, because of the castile soap, it lathered really nicely. And smelled great. I found it quite drying, though. So I used some Moroccan Oil after I towel-dried my hair.

Anyway, I hope it doesn't dry my hair out too much, cuz then it would wind up greasy again faster. We shall see! And I have 2 other shampoo recipes to try out. Gotta get the ingredients away, though. I'd also like to make my own deodorant to try.

Coconut Milk Shampoo
1/4 cup coconut milk
1/3 cup liquid castile soap
1 tsp. vitamin e, olive or almond oil
10-20 drops of essential oils (I left this out b/c the castile soap had lavender in it already)

Homemade Shampoo
1/4 cup distilled water
1/4 cup liquid castile soap
1/2 tsp, jojoba, grapeseed, or other light vegetable oil

DIY : Homemade Shampoo
1 cup pure liquid castile soap
1 cup green tea, brewed 30 mins.
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. honey

The last one sounds really nice, I'd like to try that out next, I think. It's good to have a few different recipes. Because I find that my hair gets used to a shampoo after a while, and I need to switch it up. Same with deodorants. Idk why...something to do with pH, probably. Anyhoo, I'll keep you posted--if anyone's reading this.


No comments: