Monday, November 07, 2011

Nov. 7th

There's something relaxing about sewing by hand. :)

I put a brand new pair of sweatpants on Brendan this morning, and half an hour later, about a 4-inch piece of the leg seam had suddenly popped open! I think that before I put it away, there must've been a tag there, that I cut off too close to the seam. I hate that.

I hate that baby clothes have all these tags! On shirts, there's usually a tag on the collar, and then a big long papery one on the side seam, too. (?!) And the same on pants & sleepers--there's usually one down the side of the leg. Why? I don't get it. I always cut out the tags as soon as I get anything, unless it's a soft, satiny one on the collar. I don't need them to keep track of sizes. I can tell to look at something what size it is, and I sort things (that he outgrows, or to grow into) in tubs, marked with the size. I think there should only be a tag on the collar. And printed, if possible.

And that's my tag rant. Lol.

I went to the store this evening to (impulsively, as usual) buy munchies. I wasn't even hungry. We had steaks--fried in BACON FAT, I might add--with potatoes, garden carrots, and broccoli for supper, and cookies & icecream for dessert. I mean really. Idk why I was craving chips. I'm still full, and it's 10:11. I got chips, dip, white cheddar popcorn--oh, and 2 slices of banana bread, for $1 ea. Even though I could easily just make a couple loaves myself, for free. Gah.

But y'know what? I didn't touch those chips. Or the popcorn. I did eat the banana bread, which wasn't particularly satisfying, seeing as I wasn't even slightly hungry. As I was about to get into the popcorn, I decided to make a cup of ginger peach tea instead. Very cozy & relaxing. Every time I drink tea, I think, I should make a habit of this. I should drink tea instead of reaching for a snack I don't really want or need in the evenings. It's really much more satisfying and relaxing.

Personally I don't care about the health benefits of tea. I mean, it's great, it's a nice added bonus. But for me, it's more about the comfort. I'm reaching for snacks mostly for comfort. And you know, they usually don't comfort me at all. What I really want is affection, usually. Or, sometimes I'm just bored, or feeling unfulfilled--like this evening. So I picked up some mending, and made tea, et voila. Feeling much better.

I also rarely exercise. I should be walking the dogs as often as possible. I'm really the worst dog owner ever. Well not THE worst. But I'm certainly no Patti Davidson. ;) The dogs go to the house, and are in their pen, every day (weather permitting). Not that there's really anything wrong with that, particularly. It's a HUGE pen. Literally, it's perimeter is bigger than that of our house. LOL. Yes, really. But, they're not getting any real exercise.

My usually go-to when I'm bored, listless, lacking something, is THIS. The computer. Facebook, especially. But other things on the internet as well. My blog, my email, looking through random pictures, reading articles, and don't forget impulsive retail therapy, in the form of buying diapers! I could've bought 3 more today. But I resisted. The pain of looking at not buying did dissipate, after a few minutes. ;)

That cheddar popcorn is still on the coffee table, staring at me. I'm not gonna touch it. It would just make me way too full before bedtime. And I'm not going to stay up all night on Facebook, or anywhere else on the internet, or watching tv. I'm going to actually go to bed soon.

Bye 4 now!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Lol u are funny :) I am not a tea drinker AT ALL...just coffee for me! I like mending, too, but rarely find time for it....maybe I'll change that

lauraleighton said...

I totally ate the popcorn, too. :P Shows you how long my resolve lasts. I LOOOOVE coffee. But I usually only drink it on weekends, when Geoff's home in the mornings. :) Mum was talking the other day about how Gramma used to mend & fix EVERYTHING. She used to say, "Use it up, wear it out. Make it do or do without!" "A completely forgotten art in this day and age, we are a consumer age." says Mum.