Sunday, September 04, 2011

September 4th, 2011

Lol...I almost put 2001 in the title line there ahhh...yep.

So! I have been cloth diapering for about 2 weeks now, and I love it! I decided to use prefolds, Snappis, and covers--I have Thirsties & Bummis covers. At first, I started out with...Idk how many prefolds, probably 4 or 5 dozen, standard-size (huge). I think they're Indian cotton, b/c they're really soft. I found them really bulky, b/c Brendan has such a teeny bum, but they still worked better than the one-size diapers for him.

Then I was looking on Kijiji for diapers, and found some newborn-size prefolds, which I snapped up immediately. They must be Chinese prefolds, b/c they're not nearly as soft as the other ones. But they fit MUCH better, and keep the wetness off his skin better, as they're not all baggy like the standard-size ones. And, newborn-size covers (Thirsties, which run a little big), still fit him! Lol. I just took them to a friend's house for her to try, on her 2-month-old, and they BARELY fit him. Tells ya how little B's bum is, eh!

The girl I bought the covers & sized prefolds from--funny enough, turned out to be my husband's ex-girlfriend, and we get along great and probably have quite a lot in common--anyway, she emailed me today and has covers in the next size up to sell me. So I'm snappin them up, too!

And like I said, I took diapers down to a friend's today for her to try on her 2-month-old, and her 1 & 1/2-year-old daughter, too! I am SO excited to be teaching people, and helping people to do things that I'm passionate about!! (So far I've inspired/helped 2 people to cloth diaper, and 2 people to breastfeed!)

I had bought 20 one-size (adjustable) diapers and liners, and they didn't fit Brendan around the legs, as I might've mentioned in an earlier blog. So I took them down to my friend to try, and they fit her little guy. And of course they're irresistibly adorable, too. So I'm hoping she will buy them from me--and then I can buy more prefolds, in a small or medium, and more covers, in a medium! Lol. You buy mine, I buy more! Win-win, no? ;) Aaaand I may also have claimed another Goodmama diaper that I found on Facebook. Shame shame. But the print is from "Guess How Much I Love You?"...who could resist that!

Anyway. As you can see, I LOVE it. I do a load of diapers every 2-3 days. I wash them on the highest water level setting, in cold water, with liquid Tide Free. I only use about 2 Tbsp. of detergent, and run an extra rinse cycle, just to be sure they're super-clean. If I can, I hang them on the line. If not, I at least hang the covers to dry on the drying rack, cuz the PUL gets all crackly and ruined if you dry it in the dryer too much. I like drying the prefolds in the dryer, b/c it makes them softer. But there's just something about a clothesline full of diapers! <3 Since we've been back home (from Maine), I've been feeding Brendan 3 meals a day. A week ago, he was only eating breakfast. He is beefing right up. Makes me wonder if my milk just wasn't enough! :( I mean, people say that's very rarely the case, but he's always been skinny, and a really frequent eater. Maybe that was the problem, the frequent eating? Maybe it trained his metabolism to work faster? Idk. Anyway. He's chubbing up quite a bit now, yay! He usually has fruit for breakfast, sometimes cereal, sometimes mix the 2 together. Then a protein and veggies for dinner, and the same for supper, and still nurses 6-8 times a day or so. And, bonus, his poops are more solid now, which makes cloth diapering even more of a cinch! One day last week, I was searching around for something he could have for a quick protein for dinner, and happened upon a can of chickpeas that have been on the lazy-susan forever. So I rinsed them, and whizzed them all up with some water, and they are great! I had never tried them before, they're actually really good, even all on their own. So I bought a couple more cans of them, and a can of lentils to try. I've also introduced him to chicken, and bought some beef to try, and some tofu, which I haven't used yet. Maybe tomorrow. I had never tried tofu before, either. It's pretty much flavorless. Oh, and, I found a great foam playmat for Brendan in Maine, too! For $10 at a 2nd-hand store. It's got 26 pieces, all bright, colorful, Sesame Street, alphabet. :) Love it. Now he can crawl around a bit and not bash his face/head on the floor! So...yeah. Exciting day for me, scoring more diaper covers I need, finding an adorable Goodmama, and helping a friend start cloth diapering! I'm totally becoming the biggest hippie-mama ever. Tofu, beans, lentils, breastfeeding, and cloth diapering! Hell yeah!! :D Lovin' it.



No comments: