Tuesday, August 23, 2011

August 23rd, 2011

Wow! It's been a long time, as usual! I was inspired by Rachel to blog, so here I am.

Since mid-December, Geoff & I have been living with my parents. We've been renovating our house...VEEEEEERY SLOOOOOOWLY. On February 4th, Brendan Andrew Leighton was born. :) Goes without saying that our lives are very different now! I love being at home, though. It's what I've always wanted to do.

I was reading Rachel's blog about money management. Hope that I can get our finances sorted soon, as we had a bit of a nasty surprise in the mail yesterday, something we had "back-burnered", and forgotten about. Ach.

I've been pretty much exceptionally lazy today. I had such a long night last night. Brendan didn't settle til...Idk what time, cuz I knocked his clock off the dresser and the battery fell out and rolled under the dresser. It took me 3 tries to settle him. :( It was almost midnight the last time I looked at his clock. So I hardly did anything today. 3 loads of laundry I think...that's about it. Didn't sweep, didn't do dishes, didn't cook (we bbq'd). Laaaaaa-ZYYY!

Last week, I started cloth diapering. And now it's pretty much all I talk about. :P That, and breastfeeding. I'm "one of THOSE" now. One of those women who aspires to be a super-green earth mama. I breastfeed, I cloth diaper, and I make my own baby food. In my awesome Baby Bullet. Which is totally unnecessary. Dammit I'm just awesome. ;)

I ordered 20 pocket diapers online. They're lovely, and I really want to use them...but Brendan is a little skinny minnie baby, and they are too big around the legs. So there's a gape, et voila, the pee, she leaks out. Myep. So, I borrowed some Goodmama fitted diapers from a friend. They're lovely, beautiful fabrics. Some of them are collectible, and people are OBSESSED with them. I saw one auctioned on a Fb page for $55 the other day, and I thought, NOOOO way will I ever pay $55 for a diaper! My friend informed me, That's nothing. I've seen them go for $600-$700, and one woman was even offered $1500 for one! ONE DIAPER.

Anyhoo. That's besides the point. My point is, Goodmamas are one of the most expensive brands, and they're soooo nice, great quality diapers. But they STILL don't fit around the legs (yet)! Darn. So, thankfully, a friend of mine gave me a whole WHACK of pre-fold diapers. Just regular old cotton rectangles, which are made with layers of fabric, and thickest in the middle. You fold them in thirds, and fasten with safety pins, or something called a Snappi, which is what I use.




As much as I love the adorable prints on the fitted and pocket diapers, those plain ol' unbleached cotton pre-folds are much cheaper (15-20 diapers for the approx. the cost of just one pocket or fitted diaper), and MUCH simpler to care for. You can't ruin their absorbency, as you can with some of the more modern diapers. With diapers that are lined with microfiber fabrics, and have an outer of some laminated material, you have to be careful that residue doesn't build up on them. Residue from pee, laundry detergent, bum creams, can all create a barrier on the fabric. Or can make them retain that lovely ammonia smell. :/

Prefolds are bulletproof. You can use any bum cream (mind you, it may stain). You can wash them in anything (provided it doesn't give your baby a rash). Simpler is often better. I have Bummis (bum-ease) covers for them, which are PUL (polyurethane laminate), and have gusseted leg holes, so they DO NOT LEAK. I also have 2 wool covers, which are REALLY great. They are bulkier than the newer, all-in-one styles, or pocket diapers, etc. But it's kinda cute, cuz really, Brendan has a teeny-tiny skinny little baby bum, and it's so HUGE and fluffy in a diaper!

Today, I washed a bunch, and hung them out on the line. So proud of my loverly clean dipies, hanging in the sunshine. Simple things make me happy. :)

Another thing that makes me VERY happy is that I influenced a friend to try breastfeeding again with her 2nd baby. I wrote a note (which is really more like an article) on Facebook about my breastfeeding experiences, and she said it made her want to give it another try. She just had her baby yesterday, and she's doing GREAT nursing him!! :D So happy!! She sent me a pic of her nursing him on her cell. Beautious.

Y'know...that's about all I can find to ramble endlessly about for today, and Geoff just got home from work. Nighty-night!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

aw, I am glad you are blogging! I feel like I never really had much of a chance to get to know you, so this is great! It's like a microscope RIGHT INTO YOUR BRAIN! lol I actually laughed out loud at the part about you writing a "note" on fb that is actually more like a manuscript (or however you put it - I forget already lol) I used to cloth diaper and I QUIT!!! Reason was that I only had size medium and then Jas outgrew them, so I didn't feel like purchasing the large size (plus all my velcro on my covers had worn out) so I just got lazy......kinda like you ;) but now I'm rethinking my thinking and just MIGHT give it another shot........we'll see. I DO have 3 in diapers (yes, my 4 year old is still not willing) so that's a LOT of washing and a LOT of diapers and we haul our own water 3 times a week as it is, so yeah. We'll see. LOL this was supposed to be a comment, but I see it has become a documentary lol I guess we're a lot alike! Happy blogging! Good to see you on here!

lauraleighton said...

That IS a lot of washing! You haul water?? Lol yeah us Wilcoxes talk too much, so I'm told. ;) My notes on Fb are always really more like blogs. Then my blog post turned into a huge long editorial or something. I bought the one-size diapers, they were only $8 a piece, with an insert included. Cheapest I've seen. And then, Joy (Benson) Green gave me a huge pile of prefolds, and some covers, and I just bought more covers yesterday, and some newborn size prefolds. And I heard Joy is expecting again (not common knowledge maybe), so we'll do a diaper swap. She can use the nb size ones til Sheena or myself needs them, and then I'll give her back the bigger ones, etc. :) We'll create the first GM diaper swapping network. ;)