Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Feb. 6/07-Love Yourself!

I have legs that work, they're not broken (anymore). I don't need a
wheelchair, crutches, a cane, or a walker. They don't ache when I need to
climb stairs. They aren't cramped & sore in bed at night. I can use then
to walk, run, jump, bike, swim, work, play, worship, kneel, crouch, spring,
and skip.

I have arms that are strong enough to lift & pull at work, to do dishes,
laundry, sweep floors, make my bed, and do all the everyday tasks at home.
They can deftly throw a ball across a room, lift my kitty up to give him a
kiss, hug the many people I love so much, cradle a new baby gentle.

I can move so many ways: I can jump out of bed easily in the morning, bend
to pick up a pen I dropped, catch myself if I'm about to trip & fall. I
can stretch, dance, twirl, slide, skip, dive and revel.

There are so many things my body can do, inspite of its outward
imperfections.

My hands...with them I can reach out and hold another's in comfort & love.
I can create something from practically nothing. I can pat my dog. I can
tease or tickle, or caress lovingly. Play piano...their most amazing
acheivement thus far. I can tie & untie, bind & break, hold or release,
create or destroy, write and draw, speak in sign-language, pick flowers,
greet someone warmly, or even defend myself from danger.

I can see...the beauty & endlessly vast array of colors all around me. I
can sit in the cool grass and watch 30 lobster boats all lit-up, sailing
across the calm silver harbour on a November evening, with a sparkling
white moon in the twilight sky. I can behold the beauty of the budding
cherry tree blossoms & new green grass in spring, or the bright red, yellow
& orange leaves in fall.

I can smell the wild roses, or the smell of my Father when he's been
cutting wood all day, or fresh-baked bread or apple pie, fine perfume. The
fresh air in spring, the crisp air in fall, the woodfires in winter.

I can taste--clam pie, lobster, dulse, strip fish, pizza, cheesecake, fresh
watermelon, or peas out of our garden in August.

I can listen...one of our most precious assets...to the advice of family,
to the troubles of a friend. To the many types of music I love so well, to
the mew of a little new kitten, and its mother 'chirping' in return. To
the first songbirds in spring, and the the quiet rain at midnight, the
laughter of friends, and the stillness and silence of daybreak at camp.

I can remember many things, both good and bad. I can feel & experience,
and learn new things every day. I can create, inspire, teach, encourage,
and love. And I have a voice, to pass it all on to future generations, and
a pen in my hand if that chance never comes.

~I hope this message inspires you to appreciate your body a little more!
Too many of us OBSESS over how it looks, how we measure up, how thin we
should be. Not that we shouldn't take care of our bodies, it's very very
important. But--we shouldn't hate them because they don't look perfect.
There's so much more to life than that! We were put on this earth to help
& to love others--to have relationships with others & make a difference in
the world, even if only in the world of a few people! So stop obsessing
about how imperfect your body is, and wishing that it was better, and start
using it as a vehicle to carry out God's purposes for you and for others!~
Laura Tate

No comments: