Alice Smiles died yesterday morning...I went to the "visitation" at the funeral home tonight. It always amazes me how much people care here. We all come together in mourning when a family loses someone. People cook for them, visit them, etc. Even if you don't know the person who died all that well, you know someone who knew them. You know a family member, chances are. But it's not just that--there's such a sense of community, during times like that. Even at a funeral visitation, it's not quiet, mournful, and somber. Everyone is visiting and laughing. For example, Sharon Green (Alice & Smiles' daughter-in-law). I NEVER, NEVER, NEVER see her smile. Or laugh. Actually, she used to be "Auntie Sharon" to me & Adam & Sheena, because her & Mum were good friends. And she hardly speaks to me now. But she was laughing & chatting, and even gave me a hug at the funeral home tonight. Anyway. They're definitely a special family. Alice & Smiles have been a mainstay on "the point" for...what, 40...50 years now? How many ball games have we played on their lawn I'd like to know! I called Miranda today, knew her & Doug would want to get up to the funeral tomorrow. We all love Smiles & Alice. Smiles is 93 now, still out & around all the time. This will be really hard on him. But, I was thinking, too--Vinton was around years & years after Luella died. They're tough old fellas, that's for sure! Well, we'll all feel the loss on the point & in our community, especially because they have such a huge family--we're all connected to someone in that family, I'm sure.
So remember Smiles & his family in your prayers tonight and in the weeks & months to come.
No comments:
Post a Comment