Sunday, February 11, 2007

Feb. 11th/07, 9:25 a.m.

It's been a while since I've blogged at all, but I was informed today that now I am becoming more famous. Lol nah Stephanie Fitzsimmons...I have no idea how to spell that name...added me to a list of islanders' blogs. So now I must write impressively to impress you all. Riiiight.

As of late, I've just totally given up on Simply For Life. I don't care. Nope. I still want to lose weight, I really really do. Even if it's not the whole 50 by my goal date of June. Cuz that's not likely, unless I make dieting and working out my entire life. Which I am never ever ever going to do. So, I've been eating (gasp) POTATOES!!! And BREAD!!! Oh sin of sins. And icecream. And whatever the heck I want, basically. Even with some new recipes to try, I just found Simply For Life boring and restrictive. At first it was great, because eating that way really does give you a lot of energy. But I just got bored with chicken, veggies; chicken, salad; shrimp, salad; lean meat, veggies...fruit in between...water...uuuuuuuuuuuugh. Yeah no I can't do that for my whole life. And yes, people, I know, when you're officially following the plan, and on the plan, and an SFL member, you gradually add more and more foods back in. But I just don't wanna do it I guess. I want to try it my way. Which is:

Eat what I want, when I want it (within reason). If I want a cookie, I can enjoy a cookie. Or two. If I want some pancakes, I'll have some. If I feel like icecream, I'll have icecream. The key being, balance. BALANCE, BALANCE, BALANCE. And, EXERCISE. At first when I was doing it the Simply For Life way, I was walking every day. But it started to get too cold for that. Yup, even with my trusty long underwear. But lately I've been taking the kids out skating, which is a blast. We have to hike a bit to get to where we go, down in the pit before Henderson's. And today I took 6 kids, and we went all through the pit, skating on all the different puddles. Then a couple of them wanted to check out the cliffs, so we climbed some cliffs. Yup, in the winter. With children. Very safe and sensible, I know. I wonder about myself sometimes. Lol. They weren't icy. We were fine. Then they found some rocks that were coated in ice to use as a slide. Then, we walked back through the woods, through a trail I'd almost forgotten existed. It was pretty grown over, but we picked our way through it. That was great. I love finding little lost trails through the woods. Makes me feel like a kid. Actually, I've been feeling like a kid, out skating all afternoon, playing, walking through the woods. It's the only chance I'm going to get to do this kind of stuff. Some day I'll be married, with kids, and responsibilities, and won't get to do this all the time. So I'm gonna enjoy it while I can.

Anyway, back to the food thing. I just figure, if I want to eat something unhealthy or junky, only eat about half of what I used to eat of it. And also, I would still like to try not to snack in the evenings. Because once I start eating, I just want more. And it's not like I'm really hungry to begin with. And, I try to have enough veggies at my meals, smaller portions of meat, and fruit for snacks. So I don't see why that can't work. I think I'd like to work out, too. Because if I have more muscle, my metabolism will be faster. And besides that, I'd have the added benefit of not only being in shape, but being toned, too. Which I've never been, and have always wanted to be.

Well, that's probably enough of a catch-up for today. Thanks for adding me to your list, Stephanie, hope I'm not too long-winded for you new readers. Bye 4 now.

4 comments:

Kirk said...

Wow Laura you are a good writer. Stephanie has made you famous indeed. I too went back and read some of your old posts. I particularily liked the one you wrote just before Christmas that has the picture of Jesus in agony watching someone doing drugs. Very good thoughts. I think I too will add you. If you don't want all the traffic let me know and I'll tell people on my blog that you stink. (but we will know it is not true)

lauraleighton said...

Why thankyou Kirk...no, please don't tell them I suck. Or stink. Or...anything of the kind. Tell them I'm simply masterful & amazing & brilliant. If you please. Lol just kidding. Yeah that painting is a Stephen Sawyer painting. He's really good, www. art4god.com. That' sprobably my favorite of his, because it shows how Jesus literally took on all the sins of the world. And in case you didn't notice in that picture, it looks like the guy's arm, at first, but it's actually Jesus reaching his arm around and taking it for him. Pretty crazy. But true. Anyways, thanks for the ego boost. Lol.

Stephanie (aka Not Neves) said...

I still recommend Weight Watchers. You can eat whatever you want, but it's like you said, it's about balance (and portion size). It feels good to eat those two cookies, but then be able to stop. It's like being able to indulge and yet being proud of your self-control as well. That's what I liked about it. I didn't feel like a failure if I ate a few chips (or wings!!). I'll make a copy of it for you when I get a chance.

Stephanie (aka Not Neves) said...

PS...I'm honored to add you to my list. It's really hard for me to get to know people working on White Head and having kids and all that stuff, so it's nice to know that at least I might have something to say to you the next time I see you (I suck at small talk). You should be more honored you made Kirky's list...he is a real superhero, you know.